Posted by: Michelle | 2012-12-11

Dear Doc
Please help I suffer 24/7 with anxiety. I have had treatment at a private clinic. I''m taking 0.5mg Adco Alzam 2 x daily, at night I take 2 x 25mg Trepiline as prescribed, morning i take 25mg Epetic and 2x Vitamin B tablets. Why wont this anxiety leave me alone. Is there anything you can recommend to help get rid of this awful problem I have.
Please help

Hi M,
Obviously, the best thing to do is to discuss all this with your own doc, who knows all the relevant details. I don't entirely understand the particular combination of meds he has recommended, but they're worth trying. You don't mention if youve had other, failed, treatments for anxiety or if this is your first experience of treatment for this disorder.
Alzam is one of a whole family of sedative-tranquillizers which, in most people, relieves anxiety symptoms. Trepiline is an old and well-established antidepresant which is also sedative and can help relieve anxiety symptoms and would, taken at night, probably help you to sleep.
Epitec, chemical name Lamotrigine, is a more uncommon and specialized psych drug, which I wouldn't personalyl think of using from the start of treating a freshly diagnosed anxiety disorder, but which could be helpful.
You also don't mention how long you've been taking these meds. It usually takes a couple of weeks or more before they show to what extent they're going to be useful.
Also, especially if your anxiety is about something rather than very general, ask about seeing a psychologist for a form of talking therap called Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) which can be very helpful indeed in helping you to regain control over your own fears and anxieties.