Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012-07-17

Anxiety

I have recently taken my 9 year old daughter to a child psychiatrist. She is extremely anxious, demanding and difficult. She is currently on half a 10 mg ritalin in the mornings for ADHD and is managing well at school. The specialist recommends her starting on quarter Cipramil every day for 2 weeks and increasing to half a tablet daily for a few months. I hate medicating my child, but she says it will sort out this problem - is she not too young for anti-depressants - she is not depressed, just anxious and would it not be better to go for counselling rather? Thank-you for your advise

I'm duessing its the daughter, and not the psychiatrist, who is being demanding and difficult. Nobody should be eager to medicate a child, but sometimes it is beneficial, and in proper conversation with the recommending specialist, one needs to review the likelihood that it will be useful. TO insist on a child remaining open to more limitations and even damage by NOT taking reasonable meds, could be worse.
Maybe the psychiatrist should have better explained why the Cipramil was considered necessary, as there can be some circumstances in which such a specialist would indeed use such a drug in a child.
By the way, though we call certain drugs "antidepressants" because it was in trying to find treatments for depression that they were first developed, none of them are specific to depression, rather than producing chemical changes that are often useful in other situations as well as depression.

1