Question
Posted by: 40''ish | 2012/06/06

Anxiety?

It''s happened a couple of times but yesterday was really bad. I have a household of 7. I am 45. When I have to buy groceries weekly I try to get my husband to do it or i just buy the necessary until I just HAVE to go. Our weekly groc. comes to about R2200.00 - mother jokes that if she paid that for weekly groc. she''d also get a fit. But money is not an issue.

I start getting extremely irritated, then i start sweating at the back of my neck in my hairline, then i feel out of breath, then i get this stabbing pain in my lung (below my breast on the left).

I have on occasion just left my trolley and gone home.

I stand at the till wanting to die, feeling like I just HAVE to get out of here I''m going to loose it soon.

I walk fast with the trolley and then pay 2 guys just to load the stuff in the car. I drive home like a maniac.

Once home and in my room i start to relax.

What the hell is this?

Maybe there's a background of a degree of social anxiety disorder, if you're reluctant to shop among other people, but what you're describing sounds very like a panic attack.
This happens when your physical and mental alarm system switches on inappropriately, like a car alarm being set off when a cat jumps on the bonnet, and one feels as though you're going to die, have a heart attack, or go mad ( or all three !)- because at that time, your body and brain are being flooded with exactly the same chemials that would be flaring up if you were actually being attacked by a tiger. Its very unpleasant.
And one of the snags with such anxiety attacks is that if one leaves them untreated, and start avoiding activities or places where you think they might occur, you may become increasingly handicapped by such precautions.
Fortunately, this all responds really well to treatment. One should see a good local shrink for assessment and copnfirmation of the diagnosis, and the best treatment is usually a combination of medications ( mainly some also used to treat depression ) and a special form of counselling called CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ). You should soon be able to bring all this back under control, and regain the freedom to shop and do other such activities whenever you wish, without dreading more such attacks

3
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/06/06

@ 40''ish - Agree with Ray, certainly sounds like Panic Disorder associated with anxiety - horrible condition to have. When it first happens to you, you feel as if you''re having a heart attack compounding the anxiety so it is good to breathe deeply and mentally try to control it.
There is medication out there, some otc''s for mild cases, but a visit to doc may be necessary and meds prescribed for more intense cases.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Ray | 2012/06/06

Sounds like an anxiety/panic attack.
Try and relax, breathe through your nose and out through your mouth. I have had it, especially in the car. Eventually i started ignoring them!

Reply to Ray