Question
Posted by: lee | 2011/10/13

anxiety

Hi there - I suffer from anxiety and its making me very unproductive. I have an extremely stressful job and cant afford this unproductivity. Think I''m going to visit a doctor today - what do you suggest I take. I''m definitely not depressed - just constant worrying and anxiousness which is interfering enormously on my life. What would you suggest just to take the edge off and help me to cope

It surely does render one unproductive - sometimes over-active, but under-useful, as it were. There are several ways of dealing effectively with anxiety disorder. The one I personally favour would be CBT, a form of special counselling ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, to give it its full title ). This is shown by good research to be lastingly effective in anxiety, helping one learn to identify sources of stress and anxiety, and to avoid or control them, how to handle them so as to reduce or control anxiety, how to change unhelpful habits of thought and behaviour.
Some meds which are also used to treat Depression can also be useful to help control and limit anxiety. I would be a bit cautious about the usual response of GPs and non-psychiatrists, which is to rely on sedative-tranquillizers of the Valium family ( the benzos ) - they can cause dependence if used for long, and their sedation while it may feel comfortable, can add to the inactivity and lowered productivity.

1