Posted by: Concerned | 2011-08-16

Hello Dr

I require some advice / guidance and apologies if this is mail is long.

I am a 30 year old male and i am currently experiencing chest pains when inhaling as well as a pain in the centre of my chest. I do not know what the cause is and thats what is so frustrating.
Some background: in feb of this year i had an incident at work where i suffered from diarrhea and thereafter had severe muscle contractions / cramps and a tingly pins and needle sensation throughout my body. The dr and paramedics attributed it to either dehydration or panic attack but no firm answers. Since then i have been for ecg, chest x ray gastroscopy for heartburn as well as to a psychologist for anxiety, my psychologist could find no reason for anxiety after nearly 6 sessions and i have no idea what to do next.
I have started exercising a lot and notice these feelings have no effect on my heart rate. I also have no problem sleeping at all so is this anxiety or something else?
Do i fight through as the initial incident for me was a first and i do not take medication however is there any mild non addicitive medication you would suggest? I also have no problem at focusing on work and if i do its only initially. I also notice the way I sit brings / agrravates the pain in the centre of chest etc. and when driving in the upright position as well (this is also when chest gets the crampy feeling most).

Appreciate your guidance as i do not want to continue to stress about nothing.
thanks for your time.

If the gastroscopy and ECG was normal, you have little to be concerned about. Anxiety can present with difficulty in breathing and pain over the central chest area, with sweating and palputations. It is possible that you are experiencing anxiety attacks. I suggest that you consult a psychiatrist (doctor who specialises in psychiatry). The psychiatrist will be able to prescribe medication that can be very effective in treating your symptoms. He/she will address the cause for your anxiety.

Posted by: Concerned | 2011-08-17

Doctor I forgot to mention that I am currently fasting for almost the entire day, could the lack of smoking be giving me the chest pains as withdrawal?
Also despite the gastrosocopy i still get heartburn.

Reply to Concerned