Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2010-01-17

Anxiety

I went on a diet pill last year Dec and 5 days later had severe heart palpitations, anxiety attack and landed up in hospital, tests were done on heart &  thyroid all were normal. The Doc said I could have been allergic of something in that pill: (Simply Slim). He said I should stop and I did. After being in hospital I still experience Anxiety from time to time, my symptoms are: start to feel hot around my neck and head and feel pain around my chest and rib area, I do have a inflamed rib as per doc. He did give me a 6 month prescription of anxiety pills Adco -Alzam, 0.25mg, I take 1 in morning and 1 at night, and then I started to cut down because I was feeling fine for a week and half and then all of a sudden it will just come. I started taking 2 tablets as they not that strong the day I had it. I would just like to know what would you suggest what other tests I should have?, what can I start doing to cure this, it' s a scary feeling. I' m 29 years old and have a son. We have depression in our family, I do stress easily but I was never a panicky type of person and was was fine before taking that pill! I believe there is some sort of seed in it. I' m the 3rd person to have landed in hospital because of this pill. Could it have triggered something off in my nervous system?

Thank you, kindly

I wish most of the over-the-counter "diet pills" and remedies were not on sale, as they are not effective nor as safe as people hope they are.
And I think the sneaky word "natural" should be banned in the advertising of any health-related product. So I would avoid them, and stick to a natural diet and exercise plan.
Some such meds can help to trigger an anxiety disorder, or a depression, for instance, and it would be best for you to see a psychiatrist for a careful assessment and diagnosis. If either or both condition is present ( they quite often go together ) they generally respond really well to proer treatment of them, potentially with medication and/or CBT counselling

1