Question
Posted by: anxious | 2009/11/11

Anxiety

I' m going through a tough time at present and am suffering from anxiety, especially nausia and strong heartbeat, my dr prescribed Xanor SR which does help, I only take half a tablet which is .25mg . It makes me extemely sleepy, is there anything else one can take for anxiety that doesn' t have this effect.?

Yes. Xanor is over-prescribed. It is, like most of it's relatives, a SEDATIVE anxiolytic, and makes most people sleepy. There is a drug buspirone, which takes a little longer to show it's full benefits, but its chemically different from Xanor and its relatives, is not sedative and has no risk of becoming dependent on it.
The other treatment for anxiety that works very well is CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a particular form of counselling which doesn't usually take very long, and has lasting benefits in helping you to learn how to stop being anxious and to cope better

1