Posted by: Tanilani | 2009-07-27

I often get panic attacks, and recently the doc prescribed Nuzac for me, and it seemed to help a bit. Unfortunately we were burglared last week, where they amongst other things actually took my cellphone from my bedside table where I was sleeping, and since then I am a nervous wreck. I forget things, I mix my words, and if something valuable is not where I think I' ve put it, I immediately get this sinking cold feeling in my stomach. Usually I am in control of myself, but I feel totally lost. Please advice? (I also take Librax for IBS) Should I go and see somebody?

I know this is a very disturbing experience ; in the last 9 months I've had both a burglar with a knife scraping the putty from the window, and more recently a cell-phone stolen from my bag while shopping. In the latter case, one has mixed feelings --- horror that the slimy guy got that close to you and invaded your space ; with some relief that he could have taken more and done more harm, and didn't.
After trauma of this kind it is normal to be disturbed for a couple of weeks --- anxious, panicky, and so distracted that it becomes easier to lose somthing, and the anxiety makes it even harder to find it. I find as I grow older that I generally don't so much lose things, as I put them in a very Safe Place, and then forget which Very Safe Place I put it in. Give this a littler time, but if things don't get better or get a bit worse, seeing a shrink might ot be a good idea. If you are already on Nuzak and Librax for other reasons, you are already reasonably well covered chemically, so see a psychologist or counsellor to help you get the experience in perspective. The issue is to become appropriately more cautious, but not excessively so.