Question
Posted by: LCJ | 2009/04/15

anxiety.

I am 15weeks pregnant and i have been suffering form extreme anxiety and worrying that my baby wont be normal. I have night mares about the babys health and when I see children who have down syndrome my anxiety is heightened. could I be having an axiety disorder during pregnancy or am I just being paranoid?

Such worries occur to most mothers at some stage in the pregnancy. One wants, where possible, to avoid meds during pregnancy --- but do see a counsellor, best of the CBT form, who can help you deal effectively with your anxieties. which will benefit you and the baby. You're not being paranoid, just a bit more anxious than the usual, and this can settle.