Posted by: Rita | 2009-02-09

ANTS on cat food

Hi doc

My cats food always gets attacked by ants when i put it out then cleo doesnt want to eat and i have to refill but minutes later they there again, even if i move it they will follow.
What can i do?

Dear Rita

Put the cat food in a bigger bowl filled with a bit of water. This will prevent the ants from getting to the food.

Posted by: kirsten | 2009-02-16

you can also get a bowl called Petmate fool-a-bug bowl, which apparently doesn' t allow ants into the bowl.

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Yo | 2009-02-11

I sprinkle baby powder around the cat bowls and underneath it, it actually keeps the ants out of their food and water.

Reply to Yo
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-02-11

Most vet shops sell the ANT-BOWL. it has a ring around the outer edge which can be filled with cooking oil or water.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-02-10

You can try the water barrier. I also place " bait stations"  in the kitchen in the ant highways when it' s that time of the year. It' s called ant bait, in the shop with all the other poisons. Cats can' t get at the poisoned bait inside the little plastic thing.

I' ve heard that putting vaseline around the edges of the bowls keeps ants out too. Tried it but it' s a bit messy, the cats get it on their fur.

Reply to Gogga