Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-26

Ants in the cat food

How do I keep ants away from my cats'  food?

Dear Maria

Put the bowl of food into s hallow bowl with a bit of water in the bottom. Ants can not swim.

Posted by: Gogga | 2009-03-30

I know someone whose cat ONLY drinks water from a glass bowl with a flower floating in it. I kid you not! Mine are not that fussy but they kind of like drinking from the kitchen sink if I leave any water in it, yuck.

For the ants, I' ve tried everything. Bait stations on the floor, " ant bowl" , vaseline on the edge of the bowl... All messy. Now I put the cat food on the kitchen table. Ants haven' t figured out how to get there yet. It' s a big table and I' m the only human in the house so I guess it' s not too crazy to share my table with my kids.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-03-27

Mine only drink from certain spots. One will only drink the big dog bowl but only if it is fresh fresh. One cat drinks from my water feature. One drinks from a jug that I fill up my kettle with., one from the shower and loves licking my wet hair, one only likes water running from a tap and as for food. I have a cat who sits and watches the pidgeons eating her two bowls full (one of Hiills and the other of Purina One) instead of chasing them off and the pidgeons and doves have their mealies in the front but like cat food better(!) There are water bowls and cat bowls all over the house and outside on the back and front stoep and inside the garage for the cat that sits and looks at the pidgeons but she refuses to eat them. And people are amazed I can' t get out of the door for an appointment with someone because of the 14 cats and 5 dogs. Someone invariably throws up because it ieats too quick and I can' t leave the house like that. Anybody else have that problem.?

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-27

Didn' t you know that dogs have owners, cats have staff?!

Our cat who likes to drink from the shower also loves drinking from our glasses of water on the table so you can never leave your glass unguarded.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-03-27

Cats! *sigh*.

Mine will only eat the pellets if the bowl is full. She will sit and scream at me next to the bowl if its just 1cm from the top rim!

I sometimes feel more like an assistant than a pet owner!

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-26

Hmmm... I did come up with that plan all by myself, but my cats eat pellets and they spilled the pellets into the water, which created a bridge for the ants not to mention a mess. Thanks anyway.

Mandi, isn' t that just like cats. One of mine prefers drinking from the shower when you get out. The second one prefers drinking in a basin. The third one will drink from the water bowl, but only if it is full!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-03-26

You can also buy an " ant bowl"  from some petshops. It works on the same principle as CV' s suggestion. It has a lip around the bottom edge of the bowl which you fill with oil or water.

My cat drinks all the Ant Bowl water (even though her water bowl is right next to it) so I fill the lip with cooking oil.

Reply to Mandi