Posted by: Tasja | 2009-06-10

Antiphospholipid syndrome

Hi, I am 29years and 11months and I was diagnose with this syndrome when I was about 20. I got my first blood clots at 17. I would just like to know if this syndrome has any connection/influence on my immune system? I get sick very easily. I am 1.72 and weigh 50kg. I really eat healthy. Everyone always say I get sick because I don' t eat. But really I do. I got Diploma in Fitness and Nutrition so I know what to eat. I am really tired of everyone. Just last week I had flu and a stomage bug. Can it maybe have something to do with my syndrome?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Tasja

APS is an immune system condition where the body essentially 'doesn't like' it's own phospholipids and therefore produces antibodies resulting in the typical sysptoms associated with the condition.

By definition it will affect the immume system as the body is constantly striving to achieve a state of homeostasis (balance). There are, of course, other factors that will further affect your immune system. At that height and weight your Body Mass Index is 18, which makes you under weight. If you are eating correctly why is it that you are under weight? If you are having an adequate caloric intake for your energy experditure level it may well be that there is an associated digestive system problem in that you are not absorbing suffiecient nurtients, which may be the under lying cause of your compromised immune system.

If your colds etc. require treatement with antibiotics it may also be that there is a micro flora imbalance in your digestive tract which will again compromise your immune system.

I would suggest that you consult with a nutritionist that can help to determine any possible nutritional imbalances that may be responsible for further compromising your immune system.