Question
Posted by: Nelly | 2012/04/20

Antidepressants prescribed for mild depression

Dear Doc,

I have mild depression and my GP suggested taking an antidepressant. I said I need to think about it.

What are the commonly used antidepressants for treating mild depression?

It would take a week to answer that question fully. If this is a properly diagnosed Depression ( there are criteria a doctor should use in making such a diagnosis ), then treatment with an antidepressant could indeed help, and there are dozens of them available. Its best for a doctor familiar with many of them to select one most likely to be helpful for you, and for you to try them.
There are no drugs used to treat a "mild depression", only antidepressant drugs used to treat any significant genuine depression, whether relatively mild or severe. And they should be used at the proper normal dose - there is no sense in deciding that if the depression is "mild" it should receive only a smaller dose of the antidepressant - too low a dose is useless and ineffecive.
Remember that with any such drugs, there can be side-effects that can be annoying, but they tend to reduce or wear-off after the first week or two, and that it takes up to 2 weeks or a bit more for the drug to show its first benefits.
If you have doubts about the diagnosis or treatment, maybe ask to be referred to a specialist psychiatrist for a fresh assessment and a discussion of your treatment options.

1