Question
Posted by: Jen | 2011/11/01

Antidepressants + birth control pill

I heard that birth control pills can make some antidepressants less effective, and that when you stop the Pill, your meds can become more effective. I''m on Venlor &  Epitec.
Is this true?

Thanks!

Your doctor should not have prescribed any medicine, including those you are on, without checking and being sure there would be no interaction with drugs you were already taking. Check with your doctor. I don't think Venlor would interfere with birth control pills. One type of med that can do so more often than you might think, is antibiotics.
Some anticonvulsants can alter how birth control pills work, so ask your doc especially about the rivotril. It is not a drug you would want to take while pregnant, so maintaining adequate birth control if you need to take Rivotril, is important.

1