Question
Posted by: Henriette | 2010/04/20

Antidepressants and appetite suppressants

Can I take an appetite suppressant with antidepressants (Convulex &  Zyprexa). I''ve been taking the meds for about 3 months and I am gaining a lot of weight, which makes me more depressed!

I really try to keep to small regular meals but it does not seem to work and I consider to stop taking the meds as I don''t feel much better anyway.

The answer is almost certainly not, and the combination could be unpleasant and unhelpful. The exact effects, of course, would depend on which appetite suppressant. But most of them are pretty dubious products anyway. SOme people find on the sort of meds you mention, that they have some very mild nausea and loss of appetite anyway, but as a side-effect. Nobody would ever prescribe those meds to you unless you really, really needed them, so stopping them would be a really bad idea - discuss all of this frankly with your prescribing doc. If those small regular meals are of the right sort ( nutritious and not fattening ) and you are maintaining a reasonable amount of exercise, you should at least be holding you usual weight, if not losing it.

1