Question
Posted by: TB | 2011/01/22

Antidepressant in surrogacy pregnancy

Hi, I am going t be a surrogate mom and the eggs are not mine. I am purely the incubator. The parent knows that i am on an anti-depressant and i have been through all the psychological testing. I am very excited.
I am on Cymbalta... is this safe? will not be breastfeeding. Is there an alternative??

I wonder what sort of gynae ( or whatever the doctor is ) has been aranging this sort of sutuation. Nobody should ever be allowed to serve as a surrogate without a clear assessment by an experienced psychiatrist or psychologist to make sure they are fit to handle not merely the pregnancy but the aftermath, of handing over the child to someone else. I would prefer a surrogate to be content, rather than excited. I don't know what sort of psychological testing was done, buit again I would not think that someone who still needs to be on an antidepressant should be considered as a surrogate, for their own sake and that of the child. If it is at all possible to avoid it, one would not want a foetus exposed to antidepressants from conception on. ( Some, but not all, are also relevant in terms of breast-feeding, but this is not them main concern ).

On the other hand, coming off the AD for this reason, and not because an independent psychiatrist considered it safe and ideal for the bio-mother, is also not a good idea.

Different ADs may cause problems at different stages of pregnancy. And the newer drugs like Cymbalta have been used for less time, so there is less experience of their effects on pregnancy.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it just doesn't sound to me like a good idea. Have you discussed this seriously with yoru prescribing psychiatrist ( this sort of complex situation must be dealt with by a psychiatrist and not just a GP ).

1