Posted by: Lilith | 2012-11-05

Antidepressant dosage

Hi Doctor.

I''m currently taking Lily-fluoxetine 20mg and Wellbutrin 300mg daily (have been on both for a few months already). My depression symptoms are getting worse as I''m going through a divorce. I have an appointment with my Psychiatrist for the 26th Nov (he''s very busy). Is it a good idea to take a double dose of one of my medications until I see him? I''m not coping very well and it''s starting to affect my work.

Antidepressants can be very helpful in assisting one to cope with a chemical Depression arising on its own ( with no relation to life events ) or as a severely exaggerated response to life events.
But they are usually utterly useless when used, as they sometimes are but shouldn't be, to deal with sadness, grief, aggravation and any number of similar uncomfortable emotional reactions to real events in your life. If you are going through a bitter divorce, that is bound to be unpleasant, and such drugs wont make it any less unpleasant or enable you to cope any better.
Raising, let alone doubling the dose of an antidepressant which is surely already being prescribed at the appropriate dose, won't increase the benefits, merely the potential side-effects.
But an option which far too many GPs and Psychiatrists overlook is counselling, especially of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy )variety, where loads of good research has shown it to be ffective in both types of condition, and equivalent to antidepressants in producing lasting benefits. It is FAR more likely to help one deal better with divorce and similar emotionally troubling events in one's life, and in specifically enhancing your coping skills.

Posted by: Maria | 2012-11-05

Please don''t double your dosage without consulting your doc, He should be available via telephone/E-mail. Rather try other things to help you cope with the stress of the divorce - exercise, meditate, spend time with supportive friends and family members, go for counselling.

Reply to Maria