Question
Posted by: Healt Nut | 2010/08/11

Anti oxidants

Hi Doc,
I take a multivitamin, Omega''s, Sellenium and another anti oxident every day. I also drink rooibos and green tea and try to eat healthy. (36 yr old male). I was wondering, can a person actually take in too much anti-oxidant? If so, what are the consequences?

Thanks!

Hallo Health Nut
Yes you can take in too much anti-oxidant, especially Vit E and omega oils, which can build up in the body and cause dry cracked lips and other side effects. The best way to get in antioxidants in a healthy way is by eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. One should not drink too much green tea - 4-5 cups per day are more than enough. The fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) can cause toxicity if you overdose. The other vitamins will usually wash out in your urine most of the time if you take in too much (expensive urine!)Follow the Recommended daily allowance guidelines (reference daily intakes)
http://iom.edu/en/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/DRISummaryListing2.ashx
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/11

Hallo Health Nut
dr Bets