Posted by: Rozi | 2011-03-18

Anti inflammatories

My husband and I are trying to conceive our 2nd child. Since the birth of my son, 2 years ago, my husband was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis and he has to be on Celebrex (usually once a day, but sometimes twice, if pain is severe). Does this drug affect our chances of conceiving a healthy baby. What effect does this drug have on sperm.

Please advise.

Kind regards

Dear Rozi

Many drugs may affect the sperm and not only the drugs that may affect the sperm but the condition of Ankylosing Spondylitis because it is an autoimmune condition may also effect the production of sperm somewhat. To ascertain if these have affected you husband in any way there is a simple test called a semen analysis that should be performed and that would tell you if the sperm have been affected or not. This can be done at any fertility unit or any laboratory e.g. Lancet, Ampath etc.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo