Question
Posted by: kelly | 2010/09/02

anti-depro''s and metabolism

Dear doc,
do anti-depressants have any affect on the metabolism??? Never mind the eating patterns that change but the chemicals in the tablets, does this cause any weight loss or weight gain?? I am reading so many different versions and am not understanding why some make you gain weight and others not??? or is it just a case of eating too much or too little??? please help.

Yes and no. Yes, in the way that they affect what happens to some body chemicals ( which is how they work ) ; NO, in the way you are thinking of. The weight gain SOME people experience when on ADs is not, to my mind, well explained yet. Weight gain on ADs is not inevitable, and ultimately, all weight gain occurs when one is, for whatever reason or in whatever way, taking in more food / energy than one is using up in exercise.

1