Posted by: mobilis | 2009-01-29

Anti-depressants TTC

My baby daughter died in July last year. Two months later I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and underwent radical surgery. Fortunately I am still theoretically able to have children, although my fertility, and chances of carrying to term, are substantially impaired. We are currently trying to conceive.

I know that sadness after loss is not considered to be depression as such. At what stage should I consider anti-depressants, if I am still struggling to function normally? Is it safe to take them while I' m trying to conceive?

Sadness, and many opther features of grief and bereavement, are natural after major loss, and probably need to be experienced and worked through. And facing a threat of death or disability oneself, also usually provokes a grief response. Grief and depression can co-exist, too. Antidepressants (ADs ) clearly help Depression ; whether they are useful in grief is debated and not at all proven. A proper assessment by a psychiatrist or psychologist may distinguish the two or at least clarify what might be most helpful. I generally find the threshold for treatement needs to relate to whether the burden of symptoms is interfering with our capacity to function normally, and counselling, especially of the CBT form, helps both Depression and grief --- and has the advantage, of course, of no concerns about pregnancy.
The psychiatrist could also advise, if ADs are indicated, about choosing some most likely to be safe during pregnancy. If one is highly stressed and depressed, one might be less likely to conceive, so dealing with the Depression first might be best all round.

Posted by: bonitaj | 2009-01-30

Hi there>  let me just say I' m in total agreement with what CYBERSHRINK said. This sounds like a time of saddness and mourning, which is both necessary and normal in order that you receive the next pregnancy and ultimately - child, as something/someone completely new and special and not as a knee jerk reaction to the lost child you have not yet mourned adequately! I don' t believe antidepressants are the answer. Far better would be time spent with a psychologist working through this stuff and then moving on - hopefully to a full term happy pregnancy. Good luck!

Reply to bonitaj
Posted by: H | 2009-01-30

There is a lovely lady on Parenting/Pregnancy chat - Peta who is on anti depressants and just had alittle baby boy - maybe try get hold of her and find out a bit more info

good luck

Reply to H
Posted by: sonskyn | 2009-01-30

go see your GP as I took anti-depressants with both my kids while I was pregnant and I contacted the company that manufactures them and they said that it wasnt proven to affect the babies but they cant guarentee anything and both my kids is healthy and fine rather feel better then having that extra pressure of that feeling as well and good luck

Reply to sonskyn