Question
Posted by: ANON | 2010-03-24

ANTI DEPRESSANTS FOR MY SON

MY SON 18 ASKED IF HE CAN GO ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS. I SAID HE SHOULD RATHER SPEAK TO SOMEONE FIRST. WHAT SHOULD I DO? CAN I GET SOME 5HTP FOR HIM AND TAKE HIM TO A COUNCILLOR AT THE CHURCH? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST

You are right. The fact that he asked about antidepressants strongly suggests that he feels depressed and deserves some properly expert help with this - but that should be from a good local psychiatrist, and at the very least a GP. Church counsellors are rarely properly trained or qualfied, and would not be something I would usually recommend. There's no good evidence that 5HTP wouldbe useful - and NONE of the quacky remedies sold without prescription are worthy trying. They are sold as "supplements" to squeeze round the regulations that require proper drugs to prove that they work well and are safe

3
Posted by: ANON | 2010-03-24

Thank you so much. I have made an appointment with a pyscologist rather and let the professional decide.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Maria | 2010-03-24

Antidepressants can only be prescribed by a doctor. Anything that doesn''t need a prescription is simply a supplement. Why does your son feel he needs to ad''s? I suggest you take him to a psychologist or psychiatrist for an evaluation. Church counsellers are probably not trained to diagnose and properly treat depression and other mental illnesses.

Reply to Maria