Question
Posted by: Donovan | 2009-02-23

Anti-depressants / dosage / time-frame

Hi, I have been on anti-depressants for some time now but still have my days/weeks where I am feeling very low, emotionally and physically. I have recently been told that I should not be taking anti-depressants for the rest of my life but should be ' tested'  to see that I am on the correct type and dosage and possibly be weaned off them. I' m not to sure what to do, should I carry-on with my meds, go see a doctor again, see a physchiatrist again, is it something that can be ' tested'  for? Sometimes I do feel that I may not be on the correct meds. At the same time though I am also very tired of talking to people about my issues, especially when they don' t seem to show any interest or compassion and then they still want R500/hour for their time.

Just not sure what to do or where to turn.

I have no idea what sort of "tests" are being spoken of here, as none are recognized by experts in this situation. Some people, especially after 2 or 3 episodes of definite depression may indeed be advised to remain on antidepressants ( ADs ) long-term. And if there is a real depression, then one ought to remain on them for at least 6 to 9 months before stopping, to increase the chances of remaining well after an eventual gradual reduction of them. The only form of "talking" about Depression that has been properly shown to be useful and effective is CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which may suit you. And if the depression has not fully lifted after a month or more on a particular AD, it is wise to seem a re-assessment by a psychiatrist to consider whether a different medication might suit you better