Question
Posted by: Rosie | 2010/04/29

Anti Depressants and weight gain

I am on a high dossage of Thaden (previously Venlor) and keep on gaining weight. My husband + I are wordking hard in the garden and walking approx 4 km 3 times pw. The weight just keeps on packing up. I heard that the anti depressant might be blamed? I there anything I can do, because I''m desparate!

Dear Rosie
Unfortunately both depression itself and antidepressants used to treat this condition can lead to pronounced weight gain. I checked in my copy of MIMS that lists all the drugs sold in SA with their side-effects, etc, and Thaden does not list weight gain as a side-effect. I would like to suggest that you consult the prescribing doctor and discuss this weight gain because he/she may be able to change your medication or dosage and/or determine if your depression could be causing the weight gain. Do not under any circumstances stop taking your medication unless your doctor advises this and monitors you when changing over to other medications. In the meanwhile, you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) to reduce your energy intake. Keep up the good work with the walking and try to fit in another session or 2 per week if possible because exercise not only assists weightloss, but also lifts the mood.
I do hope you can pinpoint what is causing the weight gain.

2
Posted by: Rosie | 2010/04/30

Thank You Doctor, I appreciate your reply!

Reply to Rosie

Dear Rosie