Question
Posted by: Jonathan | 2012/10/01

Anti-depressants and Sex

This isn''t a question - it''s just a quick story for those of you that are experiencing the same thing - ANTI-DEPRESSANTS!!
I''ve been married for 14 Years now - I''m 45 and have a good above-average Sex-drive. For the first few Years my Wife and I had a fantastic Sex-Life!! She was always keen and very very good in bed.

About 6 Years ago she was put onto some Anti-depressants by an idiotic Doctor who looked at her and decided that she needed them. No 2nd Opinion was obtained - big Mistake. Now guys - believe me when I say that anti-depressants absolutely destroy your Sex-Life. The Pills tend to take away your sex-Drive and often give you mood swings and Personality changes!.
For 6 Years I battled my Wife. It was a constant fight to get her off the Pills - which she now believed she needed to have. Another problem was that the Doctor had never mentioned that Anti-depressants are addictive and that you cannot just stop taking them without experiencing some very serious side effects - Siezures, amnesia, Heart Pulpitations and a ton of others. Her Personality changed drastically.
In the meantime I was going through Hell. Many times I felt like walking out of my marriage - I must have posted my feelings on Health24 at least 4 Times. There was absolutely No sexdrive on my Wife''s side and I also found that her ability to show affection had disappeared. No more touching, cuddling, smooching - it had gone!! And the worst was that she wasn''t even aware of her behaviour - or maybe she was - who knows? . We had tons and tons of fights. This drove me nuts as I need to feel tons of affection from my Wife - or else I go nuts and get insecurity issues - is she having an affair? Does she still Love me? - blah blah blah.
The turning point came when my Wife developed a serious Stomach Ulcer due to the Tablet use - an Ulcer which almost killed her and put her into ICU for 2 Months!! I had tried for Years to get her Off the Anti-depressants with no success. She was absolutely adamant that she needed them - BECAUSE THE $HITHEAD DOCTOR HAD CONVINCED HER SHE NEEDED THEM.
The Ulcer However gave her a huge Fright - especially when she started developing a 2nd Ulcer. My Marriage was in turmoil. I wanted out and even my Kids told me I was wasting my time with her. Believe me - to hear your Kids say that about their own Mom, is Mindblowing!
As I said - the Ulcers made her wake up - she eventually turned to me and told me she wanted to drop the ant-depressants. We were both in Tears - it was a very very emotional conversation and one that I will never ever forget. She had realized that the tablets were not a natural phenomenon that " Mother Nature"  had created - but a Laboratory manufactured Chemical Poison that some wise idiot had developed to make tons and tons of Money.
I gradually weaned my Wife of the tablets over a period of a Month. Gradually I noticed that she had become extremely affectionate again - and her Sex-Drive was also coming back - YIPPEEEE!!!. My Wife has now been Totally clean for a week - She has that spark back in her eyes and she Loves me to bits. She hugs, Kisses, smooches - whatever I was longing for - she does - and our Sex-Life is back on Track.
My Family is happy again and I''m a Happy man.
Now Folks - I gather you''ve all realized what I''m trying to tell you here. I''ve seen many many people on Health24 asking if Anti-depressants can take away your LIBIDO. The answer and the ONLY answer is - YES YES YES!!! If you or your partner have a solid Sex-Life and one of you is considering Anti-depressants - or have been recommended Anti-depressants by any Doctor - you beter know there is a 99% chance that your Sex-Life is going to take a huge nose-dive. In fact the pills may even destroy your relationship. DO NOT just accept any doctor''s prognosis that these Pills are the Answer. These " Professionals"  are extremely quick to write Prescriptions without warning you of the Dangers and Side-effects. In short - if you don''t want your Sex-Life to go to the dogs - BEWARE OF THE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS - and ALWAYS get a 2nd Opinion - ALWAYS!!. Over the Past 6 Years I have done tons of research on this and I have heard absolutely Hundreds of people complaining about it. BE AWAKE!! - You have been warned!! There may be People out there that really do need these Pills - if fact - I''m sure there are - but I do believe they are in the Minority and they believe their Shrinks way too easily! Guys - please - be carefull. These Pills might help your Marriage but they can absolutely destroy it too! I have to run - My wife is lying naked on the Kitchen Table waiting for me!! Cheers People!!

A lot of people have their own experiences and ideas about anti-depressants and the impact thereof on their sex-lives. It is true that it could impact your sex lives for the negative. I want to alert everyone that it also has huge positive impacts on people’s general well-being and should be dealt with individually with your doctor or psychologist. Be adult and mature and responsible in the choices you make for yourself!

For further information please consult SASHA’s website at www.sexualhealthza.co.za. For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com.

8
Posted by: Jonathan | 2012/10/02

Thanks Marlene - I totally agree with you - she is a Wonderful wonderful person - my original story made me look like a sex-crazed maniac but that isn''t the case - OK maybe just a little - but all I really wanted to do was warn people of how these Tablets can affect your relationship - and especially your Sex-Life. Regards.

Reply to Jonathan
Posted by: Marlene | 2012/10/02

This whole post amuses me no end!
There are so many undesireable side-effects of taking anti-depos and all this husband is concerned about is his wifes lack of libido - as if this is the MAIN reason for living.

What about walking around like a zombie and pretending all is fine? What about the weight gain? (This is enough to depress a woman!) Addiction? Night sweats? Restless legs? etc.

Yes, I have been down this road too and thankfully also weaned myself off everything and decided to " pull myself together"  as they used to say in the old days. It''s natural to have the odd " off"  day - even men have them, but you can learn to handle these off days without drugs.

Jonathan, well done to your wife for weaning off but honestly there is more to her than just libido.

Reply to Marlene
Posted by: bella | 2012/10/01

I am a female and have been on anti-depress for 15+ years and
I have the exact " side-effects"  that your wife has.The difference
I gave up on my marriage and trying to be the perfect sex partner and cuddly, touchy when my hubby has time for me.
He fingers his computer more than me and God knows I even play along with the sex toys, but after sex, doing what and how he wants it, he turns around and well what ever. When he starts cuddling and touching I know the 3 min run is coming up. I love sex but also the in-between " teasing"  and courting.I would like a bit of romance and being " special"  in between no gifts,meals etc, just make me feel special and protected. Started the pills due to very high stress and working my but off when he lost his job and that special gland in the brain stopped producing feel good hormones.I just want to be loved for more than sex.

Reply to bella
Posted by: Sandra | 2012/10/01

Holy Crap Laura, you sound like a Shrink yourself. I fully understand Jonathan''s story. I''ve been in that position myself. You have made so many irrelevant useless comments, why are you even on this post? I think Jonathan''s Wife is getting a lot more than you. Rather stick to things you know about, because you sure as Hell have no idea what you''re talking about. Any Doctor will tell you that it is possible to decrease and stop the medication over 4 weeks - Dr G can vouch for that - 0123352381. To Jonathan: Congrats on getting your Marriage back. May things be fantastic from now on. The fact that your Wife was on the table is great, even if you meant it as a Joke. Obviously some people don''t see the Humour and are just on this website to blunder and cause Havoc.

Reply to Sandra
Posted by: Laura | 2012/10/01

I meant a month not a week. Takes longer than a month anyway. You first say YOU weaned your wife off then you say SHE weaned herself off - make up your mind. You right, I know f-all about ''what happened'' in your marriage, then you say you had a fantastic marriage - another contradiction. No, you dont have to explain yourself to anybody so why the long sob story for everbody to read?

As for me sounding sad well that''s better than actually being sad. I have been very happily married for 35 years and after all this nastiness want to say to you that I agree re. anti-depressants and the GENERAL negative effects, not just libido effects, they have on people. Nontheless they do serve a purpose, the trick I suppose is to find the right one.

As for fuKKing myself, you better stop wasting time on this forum and go see to your wife on the kitchen table otherwise you might just be fuKKing yourself!

Reply to Laura
Posted by: Jonathan | 2012/10/01

Laura - you don''t know me and you have no idea what happened in my Marriage - Read the story properly - My Wife decreased the Drugs over a Month - NOT A WEEK - Why she went on the Drugs?? I''ll never know as we had a Fantastic marriage - You sound pretty sad yourself - On the other hand - My whole intent was to warn people about Anti-depressants - I don''t have to explain myself to you - so go FuKK Yourself!!

Reply to Jonathan
Posted by: Laura | 2012/10/01

Why did your wife need anti-depressants in the first place? Did you drive her crazy? Sounds like it to me.

By the way, your refer to a Shrink, they are Psychologists and cannot prescribe. What you really mean is the Drug Dealer, the Psychiatrists.

Oh and another thing it takes way longer than a week to wean off psychotic drugs. There are probably 100''s of different anti-depressants out there, your wife should''ve discussed her waning libido with the doc. Not all anti''s have this side effect.

Good for you for running your wife''s life! Hope you can keep up with her sex drive now!!

Reply to Laura
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/10/01

Reply to sexologist