Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2012-08-27

Anti depressants and sex

My girlriend is " having a case"  of post traumatic stress disorder. She is currently using anti depressants, for the last 8 months. Our sex live has not been great, compared to what it use to be, for the last year or so, this is when she realized that there might be a problem (PTSD) Is this a normal occurance? Our relationship is other wise 100%, just, I struggle to live with sex once every 2 months and worse, there is no indication when thing will get better. We have spoken about it, but the outcome is always nothing can be done about it and that''s the way it is, but not the way she wants it to be.

Dear Concerned.
It sounds like both you and your partner have both agreed that you have a problem. That is the first step to getting the help you need. There could be many reasons for why your partner is having difficulty with sex. This could include

- side effects of the medication,
- struggles that she is having within herself,
- issues in the relationship

My immediate thoughts are:

1.Don’t despair, it is very likely that something can be done to help. The fact that you have had an excellent sex life before is in your favour.
2.Ensure that your girlfriend’s mental health problems are fully treated. Ongoing depression or anxiety can interfere with sexual function.
3.Check to see that her antidepressant is not making her disinterested in sex. There are antidepressants that have no effect on sexual function.
4.Continue to talk to each other, and guard against retreating into silence and anger over this issue.
5.Maintain your hope and desire for a better sex life, and commit to taking the right steps to attain this.

The longer that problems continue the more likely it will affect your relationship. Sexual problems like you described must be dealt with decisively.

If you continue to struggle, I would strongly suggest you seek help with an experienced sexologist or sex therapist.
Good luck.

2
Posted by: peter | 2012-08-30

I speak from personal experience and from many Forums I have read - as long as she is on Anti-depressants, it will not get better - It will get worse - to the point that you will despise her. The only thing that saved my Marriage was getting my Wife off those Pills!! Shrinks and Sex therapists were a waste of time and always gave me tons of solutions - that never worked. I despise them as they put her on the Medication and never warned us of the effects - or the fact that you can''t just drop the treatment! What freaked me out even more is that they base their decisions on observations and personal opinion!! There is no Medical test to determine Bipolar or Depression!! The best times you had was when she wasn''t on the Pills - so in my case - getting her off the pills was all that helped!! Talk to your Doctor - and ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion!! Just think of all the crap the voortrekkers went through without an anti-depressant in site!! Good Luck!!

Reply to peter
Posted by: sexologist | 2012-08-27

Dear Concerned.

- side effects of the medication,
- issues in the relationship

My immediate thoughts are:

Good luck.

Reply to sexologist