Question
Posted by: Gibson | 2012/05/23

Anti-depressants and Sex!

My Wife has been on Anti-depressants for 8 Years now. Previous to that we had a great Sexual relationship - probably about 3 Times a week. This is a very sensitive subject for me. The Anti-depressants destroyed our Sex Life and came close to destroying my Marriage. You have no idea what it''s like to have no relationship with your wife because by 8pm she''s lying passed out in bed from the Pills. If I had the Cash - I would sue the living Hell out of the Doctor that prescribed the stuff for Her. My Wife was told that she has depression by this " Expert" . I was also told that there is no specific test that Doctors can give to test for depression!! They make all these decissions by talking to you and assessing your behaviour!! Can you damn believe that!! That means that any Psychiatrist can look at you - make an instant decision that you are Bipolar and pop you onto tons of Pills!! And the most frightening is that 90% of patients believe everything a Doctor says. This was exactly what happened to us on our first visit to the Psychiatrist. She was immediately popped onto tons of Pills. At no stage do these people bother to mention that Anti-depressants are addictive and that you cannot just leave the medication without some dangerous side-effects. At no stage do the so-called " Experts"  tell you that your Sex Life will be virtually destroyed. At no stage do they tell you how your Marriage could go down the drain and that you could totally Alienate yourself from your Children due to your Pills. We''ve been to therapy, councelling, clinics - you name it. Nothing ever changes. These Pills turn you into a Zombie - they change your personality - you become cold and withdrawn - you lose all affection for your loved ones!! Is there an answer to this? - I have no idea. All I know is that I''m sitting up wide awake in front of my Computer - telling my Story - while my Beautifull Wife - that I don''t know anymore - is lying passed out in Bed from the tablets that were supposed to " help"  her and make things better!! I feel like I''m wasting my Life!! WOW - 8 Years now - and to think I''m a good-looking healthy guy (No arrogance intended but I''m very hurt) !!! what a joke!!

Please consult a couples therapist. through therapy, it will be identified if your wife has lost her sex drive through the anti-depressants or whether she is just tired at night. if so, sex in the mornings or over the weekends could still be possible.

3
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/05/24

Depression is a very insiduous condition to be inflicted with. Have neither of you ever pin-pointed what triggered off the depression. Bipolar diagnosis is bandied about so much today and is not a death sentence (most medical aids will pay for treatment if diagnosis is Bipolar thats why its so commonly heard of these days). One cannot sit back and expect to get better - you have to work hard at fighting against it. Try and do just one thing every day that you''ve lost interest in. The more you fill your day the better you will feel. Force yourself!! Medication cannot suddendly be stopped - cut down for at least 2 weeks, if you feeling ok, cut down further for 2 weeks. If you feel bad increase the dose for 2 weeks it wont be a train smash. When you feel ready start cutting down again and so on. Get to know your body and mind and manage these feelings. It is hard work - but us women can do it!
After suffering a calamity 2,5 years ago I was prescribed 400g per day of anties plus other things. Today I''ve managed to stop all the other things and am on 50g of anties only. Its been a real slog but I''ve done it.
With all the information on the web today, educate yourself. And GIBSON your involvement and patience is admirable. It will pay off at the end of the day.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Kriek | 2012/05/24

Hi there,

I feel your pain. I am one of those woman on anti-depressants. I also fall asleep at 8 at night and my sex drive is also non-existant... all due to the pills.

The pills ruined my first marraige and is about to ruin my second aswell.

The problem is: I can''t function without it. I would either end up in jail or in a grave.

I feel that the pills are the lesser of two evils.

I am starting to make peace with the fact that maybe I am meant to be alone. When my divorce is final, I am planning to stay single as anti-depressants and a relationship don''t go hand in hand.

You must also realise that some people fuinction very well on anti-depros and it actually save marriages. I don''t know why, but for some people, it has the opposite effect. It makes you numb and tired.

Anyway, I wish you well.

Reply to Kriek
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/05/24

Reply to sexologist