Question
Posted by: Annie | 2010/11/17

Anti depressants and pregnancy

A few years ago I was diagnosed as having anxiety/OCD and was prescribed Cipralex 20mg, which I find really works well for me. The problem is that my husband and I are planning on starting a family soon and I fear that I will have to go off the Cipralex and am just so scared of feeling how I used to feel before I was put on it (which was a very scary, horrible way to feel). Does anyone have any advise for how I can deal with my anxiety during the pregnancy or if I should stay on my medication during the pregnancy even with the risks that come with it?
Any advice would be most welcome.

You need to discuss this with your psychiatrist, to decide the best way to manage your problems throuh a pregnancy - this is too complex a problem to work with only a GP. A psychiatrist who knows you, your problems, and your responses to meds, can help you make a wise choice to balance between the risks of taking any meds during a pregnancy and the risks of not doing so. CBT style counselling / psychotherapy can be very effective in treating anxiety or depression or OCD, and is of course safe in pregnancy

3
Posted by: Maria | 2010/11/17

ps. Did you go for therapy as well, or only used the meds? A good therapist could help you cope with your symptoms, lessening the need for meds.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2010/11/17

You need to discuss this with your gynae and psychiatrist. It''s a balancing act between risks to the baby if you keep taking the meds, and risk to both you and baby if you stop.

Reply to Maria