Question
Posted by: Pregnant fairy | 2010/08/11

Anti-depressants and pregnancy

My gynaecologist put me on 50mg of Zoloft, I had a terrible year last year losing my brother, I could not cope with the situation.After falling pregnant I left all anti-depressants, but she put me back on Zoloft.I want to know if there are people out there using the same medication - because I am stressing that my baby will not be ok.She did inform me that she may have breathing problems and colic, but is there a possibility that she can die or have problems later on. This is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time, and I hope it gets me over the terrible hurt I am going through.Are there any one else out there with the same problem, and how can i calm myself regarding this little bundle that is on her way.I am currently 31 weeks pregnant.Thanks

Zoloft is relatively safe in pregnancy and it sounds like you need it, so don't worry about thr baby.

3

Posted by: Pregnant fairy | 2010/08/11

Thanks so much - I am feeling relieved!

Reply to Pregnant fairy
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/08/11

Hi Pregnant Fairy

You can stop worrying immediately! Zoloft is fine during during pregnancy, and even the preferred antidepressant for breastfeeding. I was on Prozac with my second pregnancy, and swopped to Zoloft shortly before the birth for breastfeeding sake. My son is now 18 months old, and he never had any problems of any kind. To tell the truth, he is much more easygoing, as a baby as well, than my eldest who had to survive my depressive state without any meds. All you need to do is tell the paed who will be attending the birth that you are on Zoloft. The most recent medical literature says that there is a very small chance that your baby might have some breathing ''hiccups'' at birth but it is minor and not life threatening. The paed can then keep an eye out for it. There are no long term consequences of Zoloft!! It does not appear in breast milk, so you can breastfeed with pleasure.

The take home message is that babies carried by and born to woman who are suffereing from untreated depression are at much greater risk for complications (low birth weight, premature birth, colic etc) than babies born to moms who are taking the well documented antidepressants such as Zoloft or Prozac.

Enjoy your last few weeks, and stop worrying!!

Reply to Racoon