Question
Posted by: Hope | 2010-04-22

Anti-depressants and pregnancy

My husband and I want to start trying to conceive but I have one issue I’ m worried about. I have a history of depression but I’ m doing very well. I however am still on a light anti-depressant (10mg cipralex) to maintain my healthy mind and spirit.

My question is whether I have to wean myself off the medication before we start trying or is it safe to take while pregnant?

It is relatively safe to fall pregnant on Cipralex.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-04-25

Posted by: Purple | 2010-04-23

I''m on 5mg of Cipralex a day and we are trying to fall pregnant, though I think I am pregnant now.

I was told Cipralex was similar to prozac. Also that it was one of the ones that was fine to take during prenancy. I was also told that the risk of depression are worse and so it was better to continue on it, but that there was no need to change the antidepressant and that I would be monitored through my pregnancy and after baby was born to determine if I should go up to 10mg per day or not.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Doc | 2010-04-23

There is little evidence on the safety of Cipralex in pregnancy. Anti-depressants considered to be without any significant effects on the baby are Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Citalopram (Cipramil). Cipralex is the same type of drug as the second. The general rule is that the maternal psycholigical health is more important. Therefore if you are at risk of relapses, you should continue on therapy.

Reply to Doc