Question
Posted by: Barry | 2012/08/27

Anti Depressants &  Anti Anxiety meds

Is there a difference between the two or would one treat the other?
I have been seeing a physiologist for 2 months now and he says that he is concerned and that I might want to consider medication. He said that he can either refer me to a psychiatrist or give my gp a call. About 2 years ago my gp put me on Lorien. I didn''t do much for me at all and completely killed my libido and I lost a lot of weight while on it. Other that that I didn''t feel any better or any less anxious.

When I see my gp or the psychiatrist, do I ask for something for anxiety or depression or does the drug treat both?

Is there a website or something that I can look at that shows the different drugs, their side effects and level of effectiveness?

I'm guessing that you're seeing a psychologist, who is an expert in psych conditions who can't prescribe meds. A Physiologist is a scientists specializing in the way bodies work normally, and has not skills whatever to see or advise people on their health.
Overall, it'd be best to see a psychiatrist, and discuss your concerns and previous experience. Antidepressants are useful in depression AND in anxiety problems of various kinds. Only around 60 % of people respond well to the first one they try, so one may need to try more than one before finding which best suits your particular brain and body chemistry. We vary quite widely in which side-effects turn up and in how severely they trouble us. There are antidepressants like Agomalatine, a recently available one, which does NOT cause the sexual side-effects or weight gain or loss, which trouble some people on many of the others.
Apart from the drugs accidentally called Antidepressants ( because that's what they were first found to be useful for ) which can be effective in depression and a range of anxiety problems, there are no drugs really useful in the medium or long-term treatment of anxiety - the sedative tranquillizers beloved of too many GPs and usually offered for anxiety have only short-term benefits in relaxing you ( like a stiff drink ) and have the same problem as alcohol in that they can be habit forming if used for over 2 weeks at a time.
Many websites give basic information about all these drugs, though only those from proper medical and academic sources are likely to be reliable. But its not useful for you to try to select the med yourself - do thios in conversation with your psychiatrist, so as to best be able to make the best decisions on this

4
Posted by: Barry | 2012/08/28

Thank you all for the responses. Yes I did meant Psychologist haha :)

I''ll ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist rather the GP. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to Barry
Posted by: PMS | 2012/08/28

I have been using Urbanol which my GP prescribed for anxiety as my dad passed away 4 weeks ago and I could not cope with the anxiety. It helps me settle down a bit.

Reply to PMS
Posted by: Maria | 2012/08/28

All these drugs work in different ways for different people. Tell your psychiatrist what is bothering you and he or she will decide what meds will work best. Some ad''s have a significant effect on anxiety as well, and other not. Some unlucky people have to try a few different meds before finding one that works well. Not everybody experience all, or even a some, of the side effects of any specific medication.

Reply to Maria