Posted by: BBB | 2013-01-08

Anti depressants

Hi Sir, please can you advise? I''ve never suffered from depression, although very very bad anxiety. Is it necessary I take an anti depressant? Is there not something I can take(long term) just for my anxiety? Thanks kindly. Have a great year!

It's not NECESSARY, in the sense of compulsory, but some of the drugs also used to treat depression can be very helpful in treating anxiety, and more so than the sedative benzo-type tranquillizers on which one can become depedent and which relieve but don't remove the problem.
A better alternative or supplement would be CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a particular form of counselling which good research has shown is very effective in treating anxiety ( and depression, if necessary ) and related problems.
Hypnotherapy is not a good option.

Posted by: BBB | 2013-01-09

Thankyou Sir, and thankyou ME, good luck to you too xx

Reply to BBB
Posted by: ME | 2013-01-09

I also suffer from quite bad anxiety attacks quite frequently - the doctor did put me on anti depressants, we tried 5 different ones and they all made me so nauseous and some made my appetite go crazy. I am now off the anti depressants and only take something for anxiety when I absolutely have to. I now dont have to take something every day - maybe every 3rd day or so on average. Many of the anxiolitics that don''t have side effects are supposedly habit forming so doctors won''t prescribe longterm use.

Most anti depressants are supposed to help with anxiety as well - but there are so many types of A.D that until you find the right one you feel like a guinea pig and keep having to adjust to the various side effects. Psychiatrists are the best to prescribe A.D according to your symptoms etc... other doctors just use trial and error method and I got tired of feeling sick all the time and constantly wanting to eat so I told my doc to wean me off.

Time and time again, people will advise CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) - there are people who specialise in this type of therapy which teaches you to recognise the symptoms and causes of anxiety as well as find positive ways to channel the anxiety and help you cope better. I gave up with my therapist who was trying hypnotherapy but I couldnt let my mind relax and she was " too out there"  for me - I need practical. So I bought " Managing Anxiety with CBT for Dummies"  - I" m working through this on my own, I have increased my exercise (also a tried and tested aid to combat anxiety), changed my eating to mainly healthy stuff and no sweet snacks. I have set myself goals for the year with an achievement success rating between 1-10 (10 being almost impossible) and guess what, my highest was a 6 which was rated as low (but the result either depends on others input and mother nature) - I realised quickly with a bit more effort on my part, most of my goals were realisable.

I hope this advice helps you - I have a daily struggle which is heading toward an eating disorder so I have to work really hard to turn it around.

Good Luck

Reply to ME