Question
Posted by: Marie | 2012/05/21

Anti depressants

I was diagnosed with manic depression a few years ago and after many anti depressants, I have been on Nuzak 40mg for some time now.few weeks ago I began to feel very depressed and it felt like I was losing my mind.The doctor then put me on Urbanol and another anti dpressant that I should only take at night as it really makes me confused and tired. My mother who is a nurse is complaining that I am using too much medication/anti depressants. what can I do as I do not want medication to rule my life but I cant go without it...HELP

I strongly agree with Maria - NO GP should EVER be treating Bipolar Disorder on his own. The diagnosis should be made and the treatment plan devised, by a proper specialist psychiatrist, to whom a GP should refer someone if this diagnosis is suspected. A Gp can help by providing ongoing prescriptions, but the psychiatrist should be seen again if at any time there is doubt or the response is less than what is needed.
Urbanol is a benzo sedative tranquilliser, NOT useful in bipolar disorder o depression.
Bipolar Disorder does need careful medication, but when planned by the right expert, it should be as troublesome and would be much more appropriate than the treatment you're describing.
DO see a psychiatrist as soon as practical, and if by chance you are seeing a less experienced psychiatrist, arange a secondo pinion as soon as possible.

3
Posted by: Alan | 2012/05/23

Read the story " Anti-depressants killed my Marriage"  on the postings page - very interesting!!

Reply to Alan
Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/21

Are you seeing a psychiatrist? A GP should not be treating bipolar.

Reply to Maria