Question
Posted by: shirley | 2011/04/15

anti depressants

hi my husband has been put on anti depressants for 6 months as he is going through a lot at the moment. I want to know what happens when he goes off them again - will he be all moody and confused and depressed again or will it fix him?

Firstly, I hope he is on antidepressants for a good reason, such as a properly diagnosed Depression, where they can be really helpful. If so, they will probably be helpful and after AT LEAST 6 months, maybe more, he should be properly assessed again, and if he has been remaining well for some months, his doc ( best if it's a psychiatrist ) can then advise hom on how to GRADUALLY and in stages reduce the dosage so as to increase his chances of remaining well.
My point about a proper diagnosis is important - ADs are useful when there is a real depression, they may not be helpful is one is simply upset by unpleasant events in one's life, when counselling may be far more useful.
Now, some people have a genuine depression, and one episode in their lives, and after a proper course of treatment, they remain well. Some of us have more than one episode. In future, should the same symptoms start to arise, one should see a shrink early and start treastment again, early, to reduce the problems of the episode. Similarly, while recovering from a depression, if one stops the treatment too soon, there is indeed quite a high risk of the depression returning, when one would have to re-start the treatment for a few more months.

1