Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-08-08

Anti-depressants

Hi Doc, I am a 42 year old woman and are using Cilift anti-depressants (60mg daily) now for more then a year. I have just started on Wellbutrin yesterday. I am using it together with the cilift. The lady (?assistant) at the chemist said that the Wellbutrin is working on the one side of the brain and the cilift on the other side. I want to which side is the Wellbutrin working what exactly the function of it is. She also said it is very strong, I want to know if I need both anti-depressants, do they have different functions. Please clarify, I really need to understand what is happening in my brain when taking these medication. Thanks alot.

OK, she misinformed you, or you misunderstood her. NO antidepressant works on one side of the brain or the other. ALL affect the whole brain, sometimes affecting mainly one or another specific chemical that functions within the brain. I'm wondering why, if you have been on Cilift for a year, you started on another drug as well. Usually one would hope the Cilift had helped to relieve your depression, and by that time you'd be ready to gradually come of the drug. If the Cilift was NOT working, it should have been changed to a different drug after a month or so if it showed no clear benefits, rather than waiting for a year. And then one would start on a different drug, rather than adding it to the Cilift.
Your doctor should have explained all of this to you, and made sure you understood - he was paid to do so, and that is part of any competent session. Wellbutrin isn't especially "strong" - it sometimes helps someone not responding to some other meds, and can indeed be useful.
If you have been treated for this year by a GP, it would be well worth asking for referral to a specialist psychiatrist for a fresh assessment and a discussion of your treatment options.

1