Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/08/02

anti depressants

Hi doc

after suffering a kinda nervous breakdown at the beginning of this year, i finally sought help for my depression. i have been on many types of antidepressants since the beginning of this year. i''m currently on wellbutrin, lorien and lamictin. i have been on a couple before this. what usually happens is the antidepressants work for a while, then i start to feel depressed again.or i have side effects. my psychiatrist then prescribes new meds. i''m getting so tired of trying new types of medication, i feel like a guinea pig. I wish i could just be plugged into a computer and find what it is my brain needs to feel better. Is there not a major thing i can do to get a solution? Can i go for blood tests maybe? please help.

tks

I'm worried to hear you have been on "many types of AD since the beginning of this year." To try an AD properly, one needs to be on them for at least 2 to 3 weeks after one has been carefully chosen, and giving up too soon may mean none of them have a proper chance to work.
You mention a psychiatrist, so at least you are not being treated by a GP I think even if the first choice of drug doesn't seem to be working, referral to a psychiatrist is advisable
Mabe its time for a second opinion ? It is not a recognized scientifically established fact or chemical likelihood, that one would indeed respond to an antidepressant for a time and then soon afterwards stop responding.
There is no form of blod test or other test than can sort this out - the wisdom and skill of one or more experiendced psychiatrists is one's best bet.

1