Posted by: SS | 2009-07-30

Anti depressants

Is common practise for GP to prescrible Anti-depressants for a period of 3 years to my wife or should there be some sort interventation by therapist to discuss and find resolution for the depression .

Liza's right, the sort of resolution you'd like isn't always possible. But if the diagnosis is severe chronic depression potentially needing long-term medication, or if in the three years the medication has not been sufficient, it would be very wise to ask for a referal to a good local psychiatrist for a review of the diagnosis and treatment. Adding CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a method of talking treatment which good research has shown to be highly effective, may also be a good idea, and the psychiatrist could advise on this.

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-31

You sound like my ex-husband. ' ...find resolution for the depression...' . Real depression doesn' t just get ' resolved'  through therapy. Even though therapy like CBT can help a person handle depression better, it does not take away the depression. The only things that make the depression go away is time and medication. And even this doesn' t always work.

Yes, 3 years might be a bit long. Perhaps she should see a qualified psychiatrist (who is a doctor, not a therapist) for a complete assessment. The psychiatrist will be able to assess whether she truly is depressed and needs medication.

And I apologise if I misunderstood the ' resolution'  remark. My marriage left some scars...

Reply to Liza