Posted by: TJ | 2009-03-02

Good day Doc,

I am on 20mg fluoxetine but would like to weane myself off.
Is it best to take 10mg a day or could I take 20mg every second day and gradually take the anti-depressants less often.

Its best to check with your prescribing doc, because one of the important questions is whether this is the right time to try coming of the medicine. Too often, someone who is feeling fine, comes off too soon, and the Depression comes back --- usually we consider at least 6 to 9 months as the wisest duration of treatment for a first Depression. The prescribing doc can then advise on the best way for you to come off it. Either of the ways you mention could work for you. Different ADs vary in how quickly they leave the body ; Fluoxetine is a relative slow one, so every second day could work, whereas for other ADs which leave quicker, moving to a small daily dose would be e better way to gp

Posted by: seriously | 2009-03-02

Wean yourself off with the help of a doctor/gp at the minimum or a shrink because you dont know the impact or effect it may have - you could go manic or become depressed again and you need a doctor to monitor your progress.

Reply to seriously