Posted by: Noleen | 2011-06-20

Anti-depressant for a teenager

Please advise on what anti-depressant would be safe for my 17 year old daughter to take, that won''t negatively affect the Triphysal she is already taking.

She recently stopped taking Orotane for acne as her skin cleared up beautifully although she still gets the occassional minor outbreak but she does worry about it as well as obsessing about her weight.

I''ve taken her to a nutritionist who said that she is perfectly within her BMI for her age &  build but she still thinks she''s fat (which teenager doesnt these days). She''s also been for a number of blood tests etc and she is in good health.

In primary school she tried to cut herself and we took her too see a child psychologist who ascertained that she was merely seeking attention and recognition from friends and family.

I think a mild anti-depressant might help in balancing out her mood as she does have mood swings i.e. happy &  laughing one minute and then an hour later quite and withdrawn but not knowing why.

I look forward to hearing from you in this regard.

Kind regards,
Mrs. NM Lottering

Cipramil will be a good choice for an anti-depressant but I suggest that she consults a psychiatrist to have a clear diagnosis made, as it is possible that she is not suffering from depression.