Question
Posted by: depressed | 2011-07-13

Anti depresants

Is it realy necessary to use anti-depresants for somebody that has mild depression. I''ve started seeing a psychologist today and advised that I must get a prescription and use it for a year.
Is it addictive. What are the side effects and which one is better with less side effects. I''m overall very healthy, but overweight

Not necessarily. With a mild depression, talking therapy like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy )can be highly effetive, and provide lasting benefits. In more severe or chronic depressions, it is often useful to ADD the benefits of an antidepressant (AD ) drug as well. I prefer the combination to medication alone.
The point about a year is that if Major Depressive Disorder is properly diagnosed, it is wise to continue such medication for around a year, to reduce the risk of the depression recurring.
Addiction to these drugs does not occur. It is so, though, that when one has been taking them in proper doses for some time, it isn't wise to suddenly stop them ( as unpleasant symptoms can occur / recur ) and on should rather, on the advice of one's shrink, decrease them more gradually over time.
Around 70 % of people respond well to the first AD tried, so one may need to give it a fair trial ( at least a couple of week at normal doses before deciding that it isn't helpful enough ) and may need to then try a different one.
We also vary ( because our body chemistry varies ) in whether we find side-effects unpleasant on one or another AD. A pstcghiatrist ( who is a fully trained medical doctor as well as being trained in this speciality of psych disorders ) can best discuss with you the most likely best options, and help you choose and manage them.

2
Posted by: depressed | 2011-07-14

Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.

Reply to depressed