Posted by: Tracey | 2009-06-09

Anti Cortisone Diet

Hi Dietdoc

I' m a Chronic Asthmatic (43 years, started at 18 months old). I take a cortisone inhaler daily, cortisone nasal spray, cortisone injections (max per year) and Prednisone (max per year).

I am now struggling with my weight, veins, thin skin, bruising and all the not so good side effects of Cortisone, but of course I am so happy they discovered it, otherwise I would not be able to breathe.

Is there an anti-cortisone diet as such that can help you beat the side effects. Or counter act the effects. Slow them down?

My mom is Diabetic Type II and I just printed out all the dietary advice. should I follow a Diabetic Diet? I can lose a good 15kg but I am very tall and carry it well. I get very tired easily and I know that cortisone leaches out iron and calcium so I do watch that and my bone density was ok. Can' t tolerate too much dairy (nasal congestion).

Dear Tracey
I hear what you say - cortisone is saving your life, but it does have severe side-effects esp if you have to use it all the time and so extensively. There is not really a specific anti-cortisone diet, but because chronic use of cortisone is associated with weight gain, esp of the abdominal variety, it may be a good idea to use a low-fat, high-glycaemic index (GI) diet to help you keep your weight under control. The next time you see your dr, please ask him/her to check your blood glucose and insulin levels to see if you are not tending towards insulin resistance due to the cortisone and/or genetic factors seeing that your Mom is a type 2 diabetic. A low-fat, low-GI diet will help you with insulin resistance. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you find it difficult to apply a low-GI diet on your own, then do see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with the initial stages. If as you say, you can't use large amounts of dairy, then try using a calcium supplement that also contains vitamins D and K2 like MenaCal.7, which you should be able to buy at the larger chemists.