Question
Posted by: Sandy Moutinho | 2010-04-08

anti coagulants in children aged 11

Im doing some reserch for a friend who is looking to find out if a child aged 11 can be given an Anticoagulant before/during or after a hip and knee operation?

She needs all info before her daughter goes in for the surgery.

Her daughter has a muscular disease and had back surgery in October Last year.

Can she request the doctor''s give her daughter anything to prevent bloodclotting? and what would you reccommend?

Please let me know this is quite urgent

Kind regards,

Sandy Moutinho

After such a big operation, mobility will be compromised and therefore, the conditions for a bloodclot to form, are good. The complication is called a deep vein thrombosis and the doctor will surely give her an anticoagulant. Therefore, I suggest that your friend discuss this with the surgeon.