Posted by: Lanie | 2008-11-13

anti-biotics necessary for cystitis?

I went for a pap smear two weeks ago at Marie Stopes, and they have diagnosed me with a urinary tract infection and say that I need to take a course of anti-biotics. I hate anti-biotics and will do anything to avoid them. I also have thrush and know that anti-biotics can make it worse. I am not experiencing any symptoms (fever, backpain, constant need to urinate) that would suggest an upper urinary tract infection - which I know I would HAVE to take anti-biotics for. What do I do? Can I just take some citro-soda and treat the thrush topically? Is there any way that I can treat the cystitis that won' t create a nice alkaline environment for the thrush to flourish in?

You can try citrosoda, etc, but if there is a bug in your bladder, only antibiotics will get rid of it. If you take probiotics at the same time, this should prevent the thrush from worsening.