Posted by: Joe | 2009-06-26

anti biotics

I was just wondering why anti biotics like Clarythromycin and Azithromycin are so expensive compared to cheap stuff like Erythromycin? Arent they all the same thing? I thought azithromycin and clarythromycin are just different forms of erythromycin so what makes them so much more expensive? ALso do they all work in the same way and do they all treat the same conditions? Id like to know because im always prescribed zithromax for my sinus problem which is expensive for just 3 tablets for like R200 but im thinking of switching to erythromycin which is 1/5th of the price, if it will do the same thing. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Joe, although in the same families, the spectrum of and resistance to these may differ. In some cases the Erythromycin might indeed be effective.

Both Clarithromycin and Azitromycin do have generics available - at almost half (or slightly more) than the price of the original.