Posted by: Colleen | 2009-09-01

Anti anxiety meds

I have been on these meds for the past 6 weeks. I was following a good diet and exercise regime, but stopped about 2-3 months ago. I have not put on any weight although it is said that one of the side effects of my meds (fluanxol) is weight gain. I dont really understand this as I have really not been eating very well - been following a typical stodgy winter diets and no exercise. Does this mean I may not be a candidate for weight gain on this med?? If I start exercising again following a moderate 1800cal a day " diet"  could I lose about 3 kgs (this is all I have to lose really)???

Dear Colleen
Although weight gain is listed as a side-effect of Fluanxol, this does not mean that every patient using this medication will necessarily gain weight. Most side-effects do not occur in every patient. If you have 3 kg to lose you can apply the regimen you describe (1800 kcal diet and regular exercise) and you should start losing. Your change in habits (eating the stodgy winter diet and not exercising) have probably been responsible for any shift in weight you have experienced and not the medication.