Question
Posted by: Boitumelo | 2012/10/03

Anti-Anxiety Drugs

My stuttering gets worse whem I am nervous, I am also a very shy person. Is there any anti-anxiety drugs that can make me more relaxed. I have attended CBT sessions with no success.

Sorry if the CBT therapist you saw wasn't as useful as they should have been - properly done it should be very effective in your sort of situation. Much depends on what the CBT focusses on ; and from what you say, this should have included the shyness, whatever automatic thoughts you have about speaking in front of other people, and so on. A careful assessment from your psychiatrist or psychologist should check the primary diagnosis. If, as in extreme shyness, it's Social Anxiety Disorder, then this usually responds well to drugs also used to treat depression, rather than only the sort of sedative-tranquillizers more GPs tend to use.

2
Posted by: Evgenia | 2012/10/14

A very insightful and well infmroed piece. Congratulations to Carrie on her continuing work in promoting mental health awareness, and for sharing her own experiences with such honesty. Her suggestions regarding further provision of counselling in schools is one that the government would be unwise to overlook. These kind of facilities need to be more widely available, not further reduced. Cutting vital amenities for the most vulnerable members of society will only cost the country dearly in the long run.

Reply to Evgenia