Question
Posted by: Nomsa | 2012-02-10

Anti aging prioducts

Dear doc

I am a lady of 38 years old. I have wrinkles on my face resulting from not caring for my skin on my early years due to lack of knowledge.

I am now caring for my skin by following 3 steps (wash, tone and moiturise). I use Clinique products and Filorga sun screen (SP 30), and I try to avoid sun as much as I can. I tried so many anti aging creams to reduce wrinkles, but dont seem to help.

I am considering Botox and Fillers. I just need to know whether there is any beauty routine that I can follow, or products that I can use that will solve my problem rather than Botox and Fillers. I am an African, light in complexion.

Please advise.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Nomsa, thank you for the question.

Ideally one would like to examine the skin before deciding on the best treatment option (topical, injectable, laser, etc.) so my advice would be to consider seeing an aesthetic medical practitioner, plastic surgeon, or a dermatologist with a special interest in anti-ageing (cosmetic dermatology) who can guide you on the correct path.

Generally speaking skin that has been damaged through UV exposure will respond to a certain degree with a topical regime that must include ingredients such as alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, growth factors, stem cell derivatives, vitamin C, and vitamin A derivatives. Added to this chemical peels should be considered to further enhance the anti-wrinkling effect (such as the more superficial glycolic or low percentage TCA peels - 7% to 10% or even the medium depth peels - TCA 15% to 20%).

The type of treatment is purely dependant on the degree of sun damage and unfortunately you may have to consider injectable treatments and even IPL or fractional skin resurfacing (lasers).

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012-02-12

Hi Nomsa, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert