Posted by: livi | 2012-11-26

Please advize, I was prescribed Antenol for Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am in my first semester of pregnancy. The Cardiologist said it is 100 % safe to use but I have read up on medication and it is scheduled D which means there are definite risks associated with this medicine and the fetus. Should I rather not take it. My heartbeat is irregular. I would rather feel a bit strange and keep my unborn child from harm but is this the smartest thing to do. Please help?

You should not stop any medication without discussing with your doctor. If the atenolol is there for your heart rhythm then stopping it could cause big problems. If you get ill, your baby will obviously also suffer. In situations like this it is a question of weighing up the pros and cons.
The risks of atenolol are that the baby may not grow as well - this can be monitored, and also that the baby may have a slow pulse rate at birth. This can also be managed. Discuss this with both your cardiologist and gynaecologist.