Question
Posted by: Laura | 2012/02/02

Antagolin/chromium

I am insulin resistant and hypoglycemic. Will taking Antagolin (Insul-X2 200 mg, Bana-ba leaf extract, (Corosolic acid 1%) 500 mg, and Alpha Lipoic acid 150 mg.) or chromium improve these conditions?

Dear Laura
I cannot really comment on the efficacy and safety of AntaGolin because I have as yet not seen any scientific papers published that confirm that it works for insulin resistance (IR) and that it is safe to use. There is some evidence that using chromium polynicotate can help with IR to improve blood glucose values. It is better to use products which contain chromium polynicotinate, than those that contain chromium picolinate. Do not take more than 200 microgram of chromium per day - more is not better in this case, as chromium is a heavy metal. Using a low-fat, low-GI diet and daily exercise should help you improve your insulin and glucose levels. If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Start doing at least 30 min of cardio exercise daily (running, jogging, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc - select an exercise that you can do and enjoy), as this improves IR.

1

Dear Laura