Question
Posted by: Lillian | 2011/03/24

AntaGolin

I have PCOS and have been following a Low GI diet for three weeks. My pharmacist recommended I try AntaGolin as many woman with PCOS are insulin resistant. Is AntaGolin a diet product? Would it be safe to use without knowing if I have insulin resistance? The main ingredients are Insul-X2, Bana-ba leaf extract and Alpha lipoic acid

Dear Lillian
I cannot really comment on the efficacy and safety of AntaGolin because I have as yet not seen any scientific papers published that confirm that it works for insulin resistance and that it is safe to use. I would recommend that you ask the doctor who diagnosed your PCOS to send you for tests to determine if you are insulin resistant or not. Many women with PCOS do suffer from insulin resistance, which can hamper weightloss. However, using a low-fat, low-GI diet and daily exercise should help you lose weight and improve your insulin and glucose levels. If you do suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, PCOS and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Start doing at least 30 min of cardio exercise daily (running, jogging, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc - select an exercise that you can do and enjoy), as this improves weightloss and IR.

1

Dear Lillian